St. Peter's Church
St. Peter's Church in the Goytre, Port Talbot is the Mission Church of the Parish opened on 31st January 1915. The church building itself actually began life in Morfa but following the closure of the colliery there in 1914 the church was also closed. Miss Emily Charlotte Talbot appreciated the need for a place of worship in Goytre and bore the expense to have it dismantled and then reconstructed it its current location. This was quite easily done beacause St. Peter's is constructed with galvinised sheets.
St. Peter's remains the only place of worship and currently the only public building in Goytre - a distinct community situated one mile north of Port Talbot.
Following the restoration of St. Theodore's church attention turned to the renovation of St. Peter's Church. Its size and structure made this an easier task but one that the parish put such effort in that the £10,131.95 that the renovation cost (plus a further £1,400.00 in donated goods) was given or raised within six months!
The external renovation of St. Peter's permitted new timbers to replace rotting ones, some patching up of the steel sheeting and a much needed new coat of paint.
The internal renovation also permitted an element of re-ordering.
- The altar which had become westward facing was brought forward on a new platform within the sanctuary.
- The altar itself was cleaned and varnished, and new altar frontals were made.
- New green and white seasonal vestments were purchased.
- The pulpit, which had been long redundant, was removed but the wood used to build a plinth above which the crucifix was hung
- The wooden plinth is also used to place flowers on or upon which the new Nativity Crib Set is displayed.
- A votive candle stand was introduced.
- The wooden floorboards were sanded and varnished, new carpet laid, new curtains hung and new chairs purchased.
- Complete re-decoration.
- The electrics were improved and new lighting installed.
- The electric meter was boxed into a new cupboard for storage space.
- A new second-hand electric organ was donated from the Benefice of Newton, Nottage, Porthcawl
The Rt. Rev'd. David Thomas, Provincial Assistant Bishop of Wales led the Thanksgiving Service on 9th September 2003 as St. Peter's Church was re-opened.
St. Peter's Church Services
The Holy Eucharist is celebrated at a Vigil Mass of Sunday every Saturday evening at 5.30pm. Baptisms and funerals along with other occasional services as detailed in our online calendar and Parish Magazine calendar mean that the St. Peter's retains a valued and much-loved place within the parish
For further information on St. Peter's and its history please refer to the parish publications, which are available to purchase through this website.
Find St. Peter's Church
Goytre is signposted from Junction 40 of the M4. St. Peter's Church will be found on the left hand side of the main road as you travel through the village.